The Gold Medal Profile for Sport Psychology
The Gold Medal Profile for Sport Psychology (GMP-SP) is a comprehensive framework developed by (Durand-Bush et al., 2022). for assessing the mental performance competencies of elite-level athletes. It aims to provide a standardized method for evaluating and developing the psychological skills necessary for optimal athletic performance. The GMP-SP consists of a set of 20 competencies organized into four categories: Foundation, Delivery, Evaluation, and Integration.
1. Foundation Competencies:
– Self-Awareness: The ability to recognize and understand one’s own thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in relation to performance.
– Motivation and Goal Setting: The ability to set challenging, specific, and measurable goals and maintain the drive and commitment to achieve them.
– Self-Regulation: The capacity to control and manage one’s thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in order to optimize performance.
– Attentional Focus: The ability to direct and maintain attention on relevant cues and block out distractions.
– Imagery and Visualization: The use of mental imagery and visualization techniques to enhance performance and build confidence.
– Resilience and Adaptability: The ability to cope effectively with setbacks, maintain motivation, and adapt to changing circumstances.
2. Delivery Competencies:
– Interpersonal Skills: The ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with coaches, teammates, and support staff.
– Communication: The capacity to effectively communicate thoughts, feelings, and intentions in both verbal and non-verbal ways.
– Leadership: The ability to inspire and motivate others, foster a positive team environment, and make appropriate decisions in high-pressure situations.
– Team Building: The skill of creating and nurturing a cohesive and supportive team culture.
3. Evaluation Competencies:
– Performance Analysis: The ability to objectively assess and analyze individual and team performance to identify strengths and areas for improvement.
– Goal Evaluation and Adjustment: The capacity to evaluate the effectiveness of goals and make necessary adjustments to optimize performance.
– Feedback: The skill of providing and receiving constructive feedback to enhance learning and performance.
4. Integration Competencies:
– Psychological Skills Training: The ability to design and deliver effective mental training programs tailored to individual and team needs.
– Integration of Mental Skills: The capacity to integrate mental skills into training and competition routines to enhance performance.
– Ethical and Professional Conduct: The adherence to ethical guidelines and professional standards when working with athletes and teams.
The GMP-SP provides a comprehensive framework for assessing and developing the mental performance competencies that contribute to elite-level athletic success. Athletes, coaches, and sport psychologists can use this profile to identify areas of strength and areas for improvement, and implement appropriate training programs to enhance mental performance. By developing these competencies, athletes can optimize their mental skills to support consistent and effective performance in training and competition.